Marriage Licenses and Requirements
Related Files:Marriage Officant List
How to Apply for a Marriage License:
Cranston City Hall - Room 207
Monday – Friday 8:30 am until 4 pm (no appointment is needed)
• One of the parties must be a Cranston resident.
• When both parties are out of state residents must apply in the city/town where the marriage will take place.
• Both parties must appear in person (but may come in separately)
• Both parties must be 18 years of age. (if under 18 see Minor’s Permit below)
• License fee is $24.00. License is valid for three months, and if not used must be returned to the City Clerk
• The license is issued when you come in, there is no waiting period.
• The license is valid only in Rhode Island
What you need to bring
• Governmental issued photo ID with proof of residency. (valid driver’s license).
• Birth certificate. For persons born outside of the United States who cannot obtain their birth records, a passport or alien card is acceptable.
• If not a first marriage, proof of dissolution of prior marriage(s)
In the form of either a certified copy of Final Judgment or Court annulment.
If by death, a certified copy of the deceased’s death certificate.
Minor’s Permit to Marry
If both parties are over 16 but under 18, a minor’s permit VS10 must be obtained.
Both parents must appear in person and accompany each minor to give written consent in the presence of the City Clerk. In cases of divorce where a parent has sole custody, that parent must sign. Proof of sole custody must be provided in the form of a certified Final Judgment.
If either minor is under the age of 16, a Family Court Order must be obtained before a Minor’s Permit to Marry will be issued. A certified copy must be provided to the City Clerk.
Civil Unions in Rhode Island
Parties in an existing civil union issued in Rhode Island may either record the civil union as a marriage (for which there is no fee) or may apply for a marriage license ($24.00). Requirements see above. For additional information on civil unions or same sex marriages go to http://www.health.ri.gov/records/about/marriageequalitylaw/index.php
For questions on marriages, births or deaths call:
Rose Zanni, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-780-3194.
Kimberly O'Brien, at email@example.com or 401-780-3236.
Roberta Turchetta, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-780-3192.